What better way to use those precious summer berries from the bottom of the bowl than make mini pies? I love these because they're a good compromise for my family between healthy and not-healthy-delicious. The fruit keeps the pies sweet without too much added sugar.
1. Mash fruit together. I used a mortar and pestle and made two mixtures: peach, raspberry, strawberry and blueberry, raspberry strawberry, but you could really make any fruit combo you wanted! I used the berries that weren't so good for topping off salads or oatmeal since they were going to be mashed.
2. Add fruit to saucepan and add 1 tbsp. honey for every 3 cups fruit, or however much you want to suit your taste. (Fruit mixture recipe adapted from Myriad Recipe Book)
3. Cook mixtures over medium to medium-high heat for 40-55 minutes, stirring occasionally (I did about every 5-10 minutes). The goal is to boil off most of the water from the fruit, getting it to thicken a little.
4. While fruit is cooking, roll out pie crusts and cut circles that fit well into the muffin tins you have. You'll need a bigger sized circle for the bottom of the pie, and a circle just barely bigger than the top of the muffin to cap the top.
5. Press dough into anti-stick sprayed muffin tins. Add cream cheese into bottom.
6. Once fruit mixtures are thickened, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then add 1/2-1 tbsp. to each muffin tin. Put smaller circle of dough on top and pinch into the bottom piece of dough to encapsulate the fruit.
7. Cut slits in the top of each pie with a sharp knife. Bake according to pie crust instructions, checking every 5 minutes for light browning on tops of pies. Mine were baked at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes.
8. Allow to cool before eating (that pie filling will be hot!). I melted and drizzled dark chocolate on the top. My favorite is when you pull out the pie after storing in the fridge and melt warm chocolate on top; I love that juxtaposition!
- Fresh or frozen fruit of choice, approx. 6 cups for 24 medium-sized mini pies / Pictured here: 2 c. strawberries, 1 c. raspberries, 1 c. blueberries, 3 peaches
- Pre-made ready to roll out pie crust of choice (I chose one with almost no sugar added)
- 2 tbsp. honey (or amount of choice)
- Cream cheese of choice / Pictured here: whipped Greek-yogurt cream cheese (so delicious and so much less guilt-inducing
- Chocolate of choice / Pictured here: 85% cocoa
I'd love to hear what you thought of this recipe - and if you tried it with any other fruit combinations! Feel free to comment or message me any time with your story!