Screenprinting Hempsley T-Shirts

Hempsley had a booth at this past Earth Day on April 22, 2018 — so I of course had to print some t-shirts for the whole team!! 

screenprinting-process-hempsley-missouri-kristen-williams-designs

My Printmaking Background

I took 2 semesters of printmaking in college, and it was easily my favorite class. I had freedom to be creative with any concept I wanted, with the only limits set by the challenges of the current medium. I learned how to translate ideas from wood block carvings, intaglio, screenprinting, letterpress, linoleum, and more into a finished piece of art. 

screenprint-design-team-baby-kristen-williams-designs

Back in 2013, I did my first ever screenprint project in my Printmaking I class. My brother was going to be having a baby in a few short months, so I made team baby gear for the whole family that proudly displayed "Honorary Member of the Baby Bailey Squad." 

fearlessly-screenprint-kristen-williams-designs

This was my second screenprinting experience, done in my Printmaking II class. This piece combined a linoleum carving (in light blue), letterpress (type in dark blue), and screenprint (the gold text reading lessly). 

construction-shirt-design-screenprint-kristen-williams

In 2015, I got all the supplies to screenprint my own tshirts for my Senior Capstone show, of which one part was re-branding a construction company. 


 First, I had to get a self-adhesive, vinyl sticker with our logo cut out of it — and  Dusted in Daisies  hooked me up right away! 

First, I had to get a self-adhesive, vinyl sticker with our logo cut out of it — and Dusted in Daisies hooked me up right away! 

 Since I don't have a tool to line up one shirt after the other, I taped off the section I wanted to center the logo into and carefully laid the screen down in that area after inserting a piece of cardboard so that the ink wouldn't bleed through to the back of the shirt. 

Since I don't have a tool to line up one shirt after the other, I taped off the section I wanted to center the logo into and carefully laid the screen down in that area after inserting a piece of cardboard so that the ink wouldn't bleed through to the back of the shirt. 

 I had to peel the stencil off the paper and adhere it to screen, carefully replacing the bowls of the letters so that they matched the original logo. 

I had to peel the stencil off the paper and adhere it to screen, carefully replacing the bowls of the letters so that they matched the original logo. 

 Next, I taped newspaper around the lettering to make sure that no ink could get through where I didn't want it. 

Next, I taped newspaper around the lettering to make sure that no ink could get through where I didn't want it. 

 A look at the final shirts, hanging to dry in my backyard. 

A look at the final shirts, hanging to dry in my backyard. 

 Wearing the shirt at Earth Day! 

Wearing the shirt at Earth Day!