SUMMER by Mason Jar Event Group
I was lucky enough to have the honor of running the social media accounts for Mason Jar Event Group at their SUMMER event on July 13, 2017, held at Lone Hawk Farm in Longmont, Colorado. This was my third time heading the social media accounts at the event and my fourth Mason Jar event overall, and I must say, this one won the title of my favorite.
This was the first event I've attended that was outside, and it was the perfect evening for it. With the event starting at 6:30 pm, we arrived during magic hour and even got to watch the sunset as we listened to live music and enjoyed good company, food, and cannabis. Irie Weddings and Events killed it with the decorations, each one a little different with lots of color, and even using some of the edibles host's packaging as plant containers.
The evening consisted of seven different courses, each thoughtfully paired with a different cannabis product. The very first Mason Jar event that I went to was (I believe) their second ever, WINTER 2016. During that first event, between each course the company that provided the product being paired would stand up and talk about it and how it went with the meal.
At the next event, WINTER 2017, we didn't pause between each course to learn about the products, instead it was throughly explained on our menus. I thought this was really interesting, and made sense. These are luxury dinners; you don't necessarily want people standing up between each of your courses and giving an informal sales pitch, but I also didn't feel like I was as mindful about what was being paired with what course. We had wonderful speakers get up in the beginning and about midway through to talk briefly about their company, some mentioning the specifics of how their product paired with the meal — but overall, not too much was said about the pairings. At SPRING 2017, it was the same.
At SUMMER 2017, on the other hand, there were budtenders, as I'll call them, checking in on us every once in a while to remind us of what cannabis item we could pair with our current course and sometimes even offering a taster filled with the current strain pairing. They were also able to answer any questions if we had them. This left things feeling very familiar and casual feeling, like you're really at a family reunion, but still brought attention to all the thought that goes into pairing each item and course. I thought this was a brilliant idea that was really well executed — like I said, this was my favorite of their events so far!!
Check out our courses and each of their pairings below.
1. Smoked Goat Cheese
Roasted fig and macadamia salsa macha paired with Green Dot Labs Fine Cannabis Extract's Peach Ozz live resin. Enjoy with your choice from our selection of Summer Sippers in a Mason Jar over ice, just like Nana makes.
- A cross between Peach Ringz and OG Kush, this is the sophisticated summer evening concentrate of choice. Balanced sweet peach notes and the greasy, gassy aroma of the connoisseur's favorite, OG Kush, pairs deliciously with the tang of smoked goat cheese. Look for the sweetness of childhood peach ring candies on the exhale, and a lingering leather-y finish as you relax with a velvety Summer Sipper. The varietal Peach Ozz was immediately flash frozen upon harvesting, then extracted and refined to produce the "live" raw essential extract of the whole cannabis plant. Enjoy the relaxing, thoughtful and fun effects that wash over you like a warm summer night.
2. Cocinita Pibil Taquitos
This extract has a balanced sweet and savory palette. Hints of gorgonzola cheese combined with sharply sweet fruit candy hints make this a perfect pairing with the salsa's charred pineapple and richness of the coffee. Pay attention to the inhale and exhale for a wild sensory experience.
3. Enjoy an Amusée as we toast with Toast.
4. Watermelon Gazpacho
Cucumber salsa, cilantro-serrano chili oil and watercress, paired with an Indica Oil cartridge from Veed Verks and a tall glass of exotic fruit and herbed Rocky Mountain spring water. Stay hydrated my friends!
- This indica is perfect for unwinding your mind and body after a long day. Its sophisticated aroma and predominantly floral flavors also feature hints of lavender, hops, mango and cloves that make it a delicious combination with the cilantro-heavy watermelon gazpacho. Over a dozen terpenes, 150 mg of CBD and trace amounts of other cannabinoids work in concert to create a true, consistent indica experience.
5. Smoked Rocky Mountain Trout:
Epazote-arugula pistou, grilled corn and pueblo pinto bean succotash, paired with Durban Poison flower from Sweet Leaf.
- This pure sativa originates from the South African port city of Durban. It has gained notoriety worldwide for its sweet smell and energetic, uplifting effects. Durban Poison is the perfect strain to help you stay productive through a busy day, when exploring the outdoors, or to lend a spark of creativity. We highlight its piney, rich flavors by pairing it alongside the epazote-arugula pistou in the salad course to spark the energetic qualities and peppery taste of the arugula right along with the buzz of the Durban Poison.
6. Shrimp and Crawfish Boil Veracruzana
Chicken, linguisa, potatoes, chayota, sweet corn, olives, capers and pickled jalapeños in a saffron-chili broth. Paired with Sweet Leaf's Hong Kong Star flower and a '303 Get Loose' — just wait for it!
- Also known as Hong Kong, this one is a well-balanced hybrid. The herb leans toward the sativa side and provides an uplifting cerebral experience. Hong Kong Star’s buds are light green with dark orange hairs and numerous trichomes. The aroma is a complex mixture of citrus, cocoa, and earthy, and the diesel flavors of this strain make it a perfect match for the olives and briny capers, peppered throughout the sauce in the shrimp and crawfish boil Veracruzana.
7. Mexican Wedding Cookies
- This rich, buttery edible features 8mg of Distillate oil, Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans, organic butter, and sea salt. Nibble on a bite or two of this delicious infused edible alongside your desert of Mexican wedding cookies and local apple butter. Bon provecho!
Please Note: These paragraphs were copied directly from the Mason Jar SUMMER menu
Assisting with Social Media
Ahead of the event, I created social media graphics based on the event invitation designed by Chiefton. I find that these are especially impactful on Instagram because it helps break up the grid by season and introduce each event.
Social Media Takeover
Once the event got started, I put down my DSLR and focused on capturing the experience of the event for social media. Because Instagram is the social media platform designed specifically for imagery, I focused on recording the events of the evening there. I really like using Instagram because I can record lots of cool snippets from the event on the Stories without blowing up everyone's feeds; I simply post a few of my favorite images on the feed and remind people to check out the story.
On Twitter, I created a few tweets as the event began that directed people to Instagram. On Facebook, I uploaded a picture of the event just before it began and directed people to Instagram as well.
Watch the Instagram Story from the Evening
I ended up in Westword's photo gallery from their coverage of the event! Check it out via the link below
© 2017 Kristen Williams, All Rights Reserved